Sunday, May 19, 2013

College Prep Genius








College Prep Genius has came out with a book for kids going into high school and their parents, High School Prep Genius, An Academic Guide to Excellence. $29.95

High School Prep Genius is a 4 part book

Introduction which includes
  • How to Use the book
  • College and Career Notebook
  • Student timelines, both before and after high school begins.  (perfect for 7th and 8th graders.

Foundation For Personal Success which includes
  • Personal development
  • Your interests and beliefs
  • Being healthy and having financial independence

Foundation For Academic Success which includes
  • Academic development, studying, tests, organization
  • Going beyond the basics

Foundation For Future Success which includes
  • College; testing, paying for it, choosing one, applying for one, and college essentials

There are also 5 appendixes with things such as How to Build A Homeschool Transcript, Talent Searches, Great Books, Reducing Test Anxiety, Admissions Terminology.

We read through the 55 page introduction at the same pace.  Then I assigned out weekly reading for me and daily reading for Tommy. 
The introduction has sample charts.

P8101727
I appreciated how at the end of each chapter has a guide for parents. P8101736
Sometimes they have homework for the parents. The homework is often simple things that can really benefit your child. P8101733
Here is a picture of the beginnings of Tommy’s College and Career Notebook.  By beginning this in 8th grade and staying on top of it each year, high school transcripts and college applications, as well as job applications or résumés will be easy to pull together.
P8101737
This notebook and the how to of it all has been my favorite part of this book so far.  I know as he hits older grades we will both benefit from this book immensely.  I plan to have both of us finish the book (yes, all of it) over this Summer and then each year I will have both of us re-read the grade he is in as well as the future grade.


High School Prep in my 14 year olds words. 
The books gives lots of good tips on scholarships and testing for college.  It has a lot of life and school advice, from study skills to financial advice.  It helps you understand just how important high school is, no matter what type of high school you do. [public school, private school, homeschool, etc.]  I really like the book.  I like how it helps me plan for my future. It shows me things to think about that I wasn’t even thinking of.  I think every kid and their parent should have to read it in their 8th grade year. 

While this book is intended for 9th graders there is a chapter for 7th and 8th graders, as well as there is much to do the summer before 9th grade.  My 8th grade son has been so excited to read this book and foresee what he wants for his future.  

 

To see what others think of this check out this post. To see a wide variety of reviews check out our crew blog.
Photobucket
 
 







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...