In this 60 page ebook are 9 lessons. We did one lesson every 3 days or so.
The lessons are:
- An Interview - This lesson helps you decide and think through what your webpage is going to be about.
- Download and set up the program – You download and set up a free program, Coffee Cup. (not for Macs unless you have Parallels installed.)
- Add text
- Add photos- where to find them and how to add them
- Add animations – This lessons shows you how and where to find and upload free animations to add to your webpage. - I appreciated how in this lesson before she has you search the internet, she has you make sure you have safe search on and explains how to do that.
- Browser checking, backgrounds and photos – In this lesson you find free backgrounds. She takes you to a website that is completely full of ads. This becomes an opportunity to learn about being internet wise. Which is also all discussed throughout this book.
- Sound – Here you get to learn about different types of files (such as .Wav, etc.)
- Links – How to add hyperlinks
- Posting your work
This book is suggested for ages 8 and up.
My 8 year old was able to do this with quite a bit of help. (The reading for this was way above her level.) I read the book to her from my iPad and worked on the webpage with her. She didn’t understand many of the terms used. I had to take the time to explain them to her. Most things I ended up doing first with her watching and choosing, and then I let her try it on her own.
My 8 year old is not advanced, if anything she is behind the average child her age. I am glad she got to give this a try and get a feel for web design. I do plan on pulling this back out again in a few years when she is at a higher level of understanding and reading.
Overall, I feel like computers are our future and kids now days need to be able to navigate the internet well and have ample computer knowledge. This is a great short term starter project. I love that it is not a huge time commitment to learn from this book. I even learned things I didn’t know. I also like how it shows how easy it is to create a webpage and all the safety advice it gives throughout the lessons.
The price for Let’s Make A Webpage is $19.95.
The short time frame of this project makes summer a perfect time to take it on.