Doorposts is a company that is known for Bible based parenting and character training materials.
They have a brand spankin’ new book, Beauty in the Heart, written especially for young ladies ages 10-12. My daughter was lucky enough to be able to receive this book to review.
This Bible study specifically focuses on inner beauty, while still realizing that wanting to be pretty on the outside is natural and acceptable. It’s not completely shutting out trying to make your self look your best. This study shows you that you can’t have full outer beauty without inner beauty.
One of my favorite quotes from the introduction is where is;
“The truest beauty comes from our hearts. No matter how hard we work to be beautiful on the outside, if our hearts aren’t right with God and right with people, we won’t really be beautiful. A rebellious, selfish heart usually shows.”
As well as helping you grow to understand inner beauty, this workbook style Bible study is a perfect first Bible study book as it teaches/uses basic bible study techniques such as;
- Use a concordance
- Study a specific topic in the Bible
- Perform a character study
- Use marginal study notes
- Study a verse, passage, or entire chapter or book of the Bible
- Find the original word used in a passage and how it is used in other passages
- Use free Bible study tools on computers and mobile devices
Each of the 86 lessons, which are spread throughout 10 chapters, only take about 5-15 minutes each. They are meant to be done 5 days a week for a duration of about 17 weeks. Many lessons also have optional “For Further Study” suggestions. Using the optional studies you can stretch this out over an entire year.
The 10 Chapters are entitled:
- Beauty in Submission: An Inductive Study in 1 Peter
- Beauty in the Heart: A Verse Study on 1 Peter 3:3-4
- Beauty in Trusting God: A Character Study of Sarah
- Beauty in Humility: A Book Study of Ester
- Beauty in Modesty: A Verse Study of 1 Timothy 2:9-10
- Beauty in Serving: A Word and Topical Study
- Beauty without Discretion: A Verse Study of Proverbs 11:22
- Beauty in Crisis: A Chapter Study of 1 Samuel 25
- Beauty in The Gates: A Book Study of Ruth
- Beauty in Review
In the back there are also Alternate Questions for Young Men. This guide can be used with young men so they know what to look for in a wife.
Along with a Bible you don’t mind marking up, there are two highly recommended materials; Nave’s Topical Bible and Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance. This study primarily uses the KJV version of the Bible, but can easily be adapted to your translation of choice.
My daughter is beautiful on the inside and outside. However, I wanted her to have a bible study that helps her to see that outer beauty comes with inner beauty.
I mean with the pressures of todays society, this seems imperative for me to have her learn.
I have Emily doing this 5 lessons a week, sometimes more.
A few typical lesson may look like:
- Pray and Read an assigned section of the Bible. Find the answers to the questions in the text.
- Memorize this verse
- Use a dictionary to define these assigned words that are used in the verse.
- Highlight the main characters in this particular story of the Bible.
There are such a wide variety of lessons that is just a small sampling. Check out a PDF sample of the book right here!
All of the lessons did only take her the 5- 20 minutes each. She said they all made her think and reflect on her feelings and what the Bible says. She said the lesson were easy enough to not feel overwhelmed, with just enough challenge in them to not make them feel babyish or childish. Beauty in the Heart retails for $14.00 for the softcover book and $10.00 for the ebook. The softcover books will begin shipping on August 29th! They have a similar Bible study book specifically for boys as well, Because You Are Strong. Some of the crew members reviewed this book as well.
Beauty in the Heart retails for $14.00 for the softcover book and $10.00 for the ebook. The softcover books will begin shipping on August 29th!
They have a similar Bible study book specifically for boys as well, Because You Are Strong. Some of the crew members reviewed this book as well.