Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Discovery Of Deduction by Classical Academic Press



You’ve seen that logo on my blog before.  We use and love many things from Classical Academic Press.
Classical Academic Press has a slogan “Classical Subjects, Creatively taught.”  I have used a few things from them and I have found that slogan to be true. 



We just got done trying The Discovery of Deduction: An Introduction to Formal Logic. ($26.95)  Yes, I say just got done.  Let me share with you why. 



After reviewing The Art of Argument last year, I decided to teach a co-op class using that.  We have morphed it a little by adding in debate topics.  I say this to you, so you know that my 8th grader (this is recommended for 8th grade and up) who used The Discovery of Deduction has done most of the suggested but not necessary precursor to this curriculum.

My 8th grader and I were both excited to receive and begin The Discovery of Deduction.  We were able to sit right down and begin as soon as it arrived.  There was one book that is referenced often throughout the student book and The Discovery of Deduction Teacher's Edition($29.95) I found it on Kindle for 99₵.  I decided to purchase it for ease of reference.


We got through the first few lessons.  He needed absolute help on each and every lesson we did.  I could clearly see that he wasn’t fully understanding this type of formal logic.
My opinion is that it was not the curriculum itself that was hard to understand. It was the content was above his level of understanding.  Now with all of this being said.  I feel like I should keep it real and make sure you know that once my 8th grader becomes frustrated and overwhelmed he shuts down completely.  Completely.  This happened to us so often that I had to stop using this right now to save our relationship. 
I do feel that once we are completely through with Art of Argument and if I were to put this curriculum into a discussion type class, (like I have now with A of A) he would better understand it. 
This book uses real stories and a bunch of thinking to teach about formal logic.  It is what it says.  An Introduction to Formal Logic.  I think that we are just not ready for it in our house. 

I haven’t decided yet if I am going to try to teach this next level next year in a co-op or not yet. 


To see what others think of this, I know some others with 8th graders have used and liked this.  Check out this post. To see a wide variety of reviews check out our crew blog.
Photobucket
 
 







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...