Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Why I Quit Candy Crush!

Hi, my name is Alyson and I am was addicted to Candy Crush.

I know, I know it seems silly.

Here is my story! 

It all started one day when I got a little bored and was looking for a time waster. 

I started playing just a few minutes here and there.  Gradually over time it got to be where I wanted to pass the levels, and they were getting harder. So instead of playing for just a few minutes, I began playing until I could pass the level or ran out of lives.  That was only taking 5 or 10 minutes each sitting.  Not to bad really, in the scheme of things.  

After that is where things began to take a turn for the worse.

If you have ever played Candy Crush you know that by level 60 they aren't so easy any more and 65 whew, that ones a doozy. 

So then I began playing more and more.  I began playing not because I was bored anymore but because I had the urge to pass the next level. 

I was now playing when I should have been doing something else. 

By now I had downloaded the game on every device anyone in my family owned so they could send me lives. 

I went even lower than that.  I began changing the time on devices so that new lives would generate quicker.

I was seriously addicted - I see that now.  When I was in the thick of it, I did not think of it as an addiction.  It was just a game and I could quit any time I wanted.

Then my husband came to me and said; "You're spending an awful lot of time on Candy Crush.  Could you please quit playing it when I am home?"

Of course I said, "Yes."

And I meant it.
I really did.

Then I would find myself going in another room from him and sneaking in a few minutes of playing.  I would find myself waking up in the middle of the night and playing.


It was then that I realized;  I was completely and totally addicted to Candy Crush.

One day I just decided that cold turkey was how it had to be. I deleted the app from every device in our house.  I never spoke of it again.

 Until now.

It has been a few months since all this.
I have branched out and made new friends.
I pay more attention to my kids, my husband and my house.

I can't even imagine if I was addicted to something that was damaging to my mind and body.
I struggled with this enough.

Don't get me wrong, there are still days when I am sitting, just relaxing for a few minutes and I would like to play.

I don't.

I am proud of the fact that I quit.

If anything is taking away from your priorities, anything at all, re-evaluate and make the change!  You can do it!  You are not alone.  Your feelings are normal.

You are loved.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...