Thursday, September 2, 2010

The best way to eat healthier!

DSC03082

The best way to eat healthier is really no secret,  it’s to have the healthy food on hand.

 

I recently started ordering from my local food co-op.  I get an amazing amount of fruits and vegetables for a great price, and they are all fresh and from local growers.  

 

Here is my first order.

DSC03025

I bought corn and chilies by the case.  With the corn I took it to two family dinners we had that week.   (End of Summer bashes!) With the chilies, I fire roasted them on my barbeque, put them in bags and froze them.  They are so yummy, I use them in a lot, on burgers, enchiladas, salsa, and anything else I can think of.

 

I cut up a bunch of fruit and put it in a bowl in the fridge.  This fruit salad lasted for only about 3 days.  I precut some lettuce and vegetables and kept them in separate containers for quick and easy salads.  The leftover veggies I sautéed up and made some rice, for a quick and easy lunch.   For lunch one day we had fruit salad with lettuce and dressing, YUMM!   We got Mangos and Strawberries to make smoothies. 

 

I have only been ordering from the food co op for 3 weeks, and I have noticed a wonderful change in my families eating habits. 

 

With Bountiful Baskets you do not get to choose your fruits and vegetables.  Everybody basically gets the same thing.  They buy what is in season and local.  So far, this has been a bonus for me, we were able to try foods I wouldn’t have normally bought.  We got Mango’s, Plums, Pluots (a cross between a plum and an apricot, also known as a Dinosaur Egg), Nectarines, Eggplant, Red Bell Peppers, pickling cucumbers, many different varieties of grapes, grapefruits and those are just some of the ones that were not on my grocery lists.  They do also offer “case” items, bread, corn, chilies, cookies, tortillas, and more. 

 

Some local food co ops offer a variety of things, from meats to breads, to nuts, to tamales, along with fruits and vegetables.   

 

Here is a small list of food co ops that I know of:

There is also a food co op directory here.

 

Also you DO NOT NEED TO QUALIFY FINANCIALLY for these!  If you eat, you qualify!

 

I cannot tell you how much buying my food like this has benefited my family!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...