Sunday, February 7, 2010

Lesson Planning, How do you do it?

I am very new to homeschooling. I have only been doing it for about 6 months now. I am starting to feel as though I am finding my groove. While I am loving our journey, I am still trying to find my way. I seriously lack the organizational gene. I want it so bad. I try new things all the time. The core subjects are easier for me. The extra stuff is whats harder. Sometimes I find myself gathering supplies as I am teaching. My kids are having to wait on me to find things, make copies, ect. I have decided that I must change that.

I bought the Valentines Unit Study from The Old Schoolhouse. While they have done most of the preparation work, there is still a lot to do. I have spent the last three nights preparing for it. I will officially begin the lesson on Monday. I will try to squeeze in into 4 days if I can. If not, then we will finish it after Valentines day. I think I don't lesson plan now, because I really like to be flexible. That is not working for me right now. My plan is that I will plan the lessons, and leave room for flexibility. I have made all my copies, printed my lapbook components, previewed all the websites, checked out the library books, and gathered supplies. I am keeping paper in a file folder to keep it together. Anything else, I am keeping in a small tote.

On the outside I am writing the crafts that I have decided to do, and for this all of the words to learn. I am really hoping for this week to run much more smoothly. It really feels good to be this prepared.
Right now I am planning the next week (Olympics), as we are working on this week. My goal is to be 2-3 weeks in advance, maybe even a month, YIKES!

I also made an action file this past week, (I got this idea from Mommy Matters) and that is where I will be storing these. I made my portable so that I could take it anywhere I needed to. I can really see this action file saving me tons of headaches.

My question to you all is, How do you do it?
How far in advance do you plan?
And most importantly (for me), How do you keep it all organized?

I don't really know how many people read my blog, but I will give this MckLinky a try because I am really interested in how others do it. (Please be courteous and leave a link to my blog in your post, so people can get back here and check out others.) Thanks.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...