Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Homeschooling is expensive, or is it?




I honestly often wonder how I afford to homeschool.

It can be as expensive as you can imagine.  There are people that spend more money on homeschooling than the average tuition to a private school.  There are many expensive curriculum packages, even putting together your own curriculum can be expensive. 

Now, I don’t have that kind of money.  I also don’t think that more expensive always means better.  I am NOT saying these are not good, each person needs to choose what is best for their family. 

For me expense is a HUGE factor in how I make my decisions.  

Here is a list of some of my favorite resources that are easy enough on my budget.

PRAYER

THE BIBLE AND THE BOOK OF MORMON

THE LIBRARY

BLOGS- some of my favorites are Latter Day Homeschooling, Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers, Homeschool Creations, and Our Busy Homeschool

THE INTERNET- Some of my favorite websites are actually all listed on a local Elementary School’s website.  Check Elementary School websites near you.

YARD SALES & THRIFT STORES – They usually have great prices on books and everything really.

Now I do purchase curriculum in subjects I feel necessary, however I do take price into consideration. 

I did rework my budget in order to be able to afford homeschooling.  I had to cut back in some areas. 

I have also recently thought about having some type of fundraiser for my homeschool.  You know like selling cookie dough or something.  

My scheduling also helps me to afford homeschooling by not having to buy everything all at once.

Check out what others are saying about The Cost of Homeschooling HERE.

1 comment:

closed said...

Hi, I am a little new to this blog and I love it so far. I actually read your post about schedualing only for 6 weeks or something at a time. I love that, I am new to homeschooling and have a soon to be kindergartner. I have bought things that afterwords have thought man why did I get that! I think next year I will try to do the buying only for a certain amount of weeks at a time that way I can afford it better and maybe even throw in some extras here or there...Homeschooling can be very expensive and I also think it depends on the choice you make to homeschool using a curricula. I know someone who is just starting out in this journey and spent over $1000 for a dvd program so she wouldnt have to "teach" her one child...i thought that was a bit much, however I do understand the worries. I wasnt that concerned with my choice to homeschool and spent a lot less then she has...Cost is only the object of what you choose to purchase! Choose wisely and make sure you will be able to re-use things for other children...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...