Monday, March 19, 2012

Action Alert- Internet Safety



Action Alert is a company that provides internet safety in many forms. There are many internet dangers out there.  The downloadable software offers 8 internet safety tools.

Access Control & Activity Notification:  You can get “alerts” to your computer or cell phone via email that lets you know someone is trying to access a questionable site.  You can then choose to disable to computer right from there.
Site Blocking & Content Filtering:  Action Alert comes “preloaded” with websites known to host damaging spyware or other unwanted content. You can add others that you don’t allow in your house also. You can even just choose to use just the allowed sites only mode, where you choose the only sites they can visit. There is also a safe search option which filters the search results to family friendly.
Activity Video Recording, Keystroke Logging & Chat and Email Logging: This records screen shots every couple of seconds, so you can see exactly what your family is doing on the computer online and off.
Time Allowance:  Set time limits or daily times when the computer can be used. 


Action Alert has been featured on television and won awards.  They are the only internet safety solution endorsed by The Child Safety Network.

                
There are two versions of Action Alert
The Free Version  
-Offers everything you need to set up a kid safe computer in seconds.


The Maximum Protection Version ($29.99)
-fully customizable
-offers multiple user protection
-full social network monitoring. 







I felt pretty good about my kids on the computer.  We take all the precautions, computer in a central location, each child has a limited amount of free time, no questionable websites, which they are all now very caution of, since we got a virus from one of the popular game websites and were without a computer for a few days.   I cannot always sit right on top of the kids while they are on the computer.  I mean I have laundry to do, dinner to cook, etc. 

I installed this on my families main computer.  It really did install within seconds.  I set up an account with a password and we were protected. 
A few days after installation, I was upstairs taking care of laundry when I received an email (which I get on my phone) that said someone was searching “XXX”  I ran downstairs and low and behold my 2 year old was on a website learning about the letter X and was just typing it in the address bar.  I was so glad that the safe search was installed not allowing any of that to be searched and I was grateful that I was notified.   So while I trust my children on the internet, things can accidentally happen.  Better safe than sorry. 
Other things I like about this software.
The Action Alert Homepage- it is full neat family friendly websites.
If I wasn’t home when I got the email then I could remotely shut off the computer.

A few things I don’t like:
I notice about once a day I get a pop up about my computer not being virus protected.  This did not happen ever before I installed Action Alert. 
I also felt like it slowed my computer down a lot.
I guess those things are just part of the price you have to pay for internet safety protection.


To see what others though of this check out this post. To see a wide variety of reviews check out our crew blog.

As a member of The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew I review products like this, which I receive for free in order to be able to share my honest opinion.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...