Sunday, June 9, 2013

Let’s Make A Webpage {A review}


Motherboard Books offers a quick project book, Let’s Make A Web Page.  Written by Phyllis Wheeler.

In this 60 page ebook are 9 lessons.  We did one lesson every 3 days or so.

The lessons are:

  • An Interview  -  This lesson helps you decide and think through what your webpage is going to be about.
  • Download and set up the program – You download and set up a free program, Coffee Cup.  (not for Macs unless you have Parallels installed.)
  • Add text
  • Add photos- where to find them and how to add them
  • Add animations – This lessons shows you how and where to find and upload free animations to add to your webpage.  - I appreciated how in this lesson before she has you search the internet, she has you make sure you have safe search on and explains how to do that.
  • Browser checking, backgrounds and photos – In this lesson you find free backgrounds.  She takes you to a website that is completely full of ads.  This becomes an opportunity to learn about being internet wise.  Which is also all discussed throughout this book.
  • Sound – Here you get to learn about different types of files (such as .Wav, etc.)
  • Links – How to add hyperlinks
  • Posting your work

 

This book is suggested for ages 8 and up. 

My 8 year old was able to do this with quite a bit of help.  (The reading for this was way above her level.) I read the book to her from my iPad and worked on the webpage with her.  She didn’t understand many of the terms used.  I had to take the time to explain them to her.  Most things I ended up doing first with her watching and choosing, and then I let her try it on her own. 

My 8 year old is not advanced, if anything she is behind the average child her age.  I am glad she got to give this a try and get a feel for web design.  I do plan on pulling this back out again in a few years when she is at a higher level of understanding and reading. 

Overall, I feel like computers are our future and kids now days need to be able to navigate the internet well and have ample computer knowledge.  This is a great short term starter project.  I love that it is not a huge time commitment to learn from this book.  I even learned things I didn’t know.  I also like how it shows how easy it is to create a webpage and all the safety advice it gives throughout the lessons.

The price for Let’s Make A Webpage is $19.95. 

The short time frame of this project makes summer a perfect time to take it on.

To see what others think of this and another product they offer, Logo Adventures a bigger project, check out this post. To see a wide variety of reviews check out our crew blog.

Photobucket
 
 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...