Sunday, August 12, 2012

Homeschooling with 4 children.

 

There are all types of homeschoolers out there.  Those that just educate themselves, to those that educate anywhere from 1 to who knows how many children. 

P8060010

I have 4 children and while I don’t feel that I have a large family, I know that there are some people who do think that 4 children is large family. 

So whether you think a family of six is large or not, I will share with you some tips and tricks I use to keep my family on track and most of all keep myself sane.

P8110086

  • I go to bed with a clean house.  We do a quick family clean of our main living areas right before we send the kids upstairs to do their bedtime stuff.  It usually only takes 15-20 minutes to complete with everyone’s help and that includes getting the dishes from dinner loaded in the dishwasher.  I also start the dishwasher right before I head to bed. 

  • I like to pair them up.  I usually have Tommy reading to Tyler while I work with Katey on something, or have Emily set Katey up on the computer for a lesson while I am working with Tommy. 

P8110082

I do not feel like I am taking away from their education by having them help me out.  They are learning valuable life skills like how to have patience, how to be of service, how to enjoy sibling time, how to teach others, etc.

Those are all life skills that are important to have in my opinion. 

One of my goals in home educating is that my children learn to teach themselves.  I want them to want to learn. 

Much of what I do is help the older children learn:

  • To help them find the answers if they need help. 
  • To provide them with an environment and the resources to be able to learn.
  • To help them discover the vast majority of things there is to learn about out there.

A few of my favorite large family homeschooling blogs are:

Our Busy Homeschool

Large Family Logistics

Photobucket
Click on the graphic to see what other’s are saying about Large Family Homeschooling.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...