Saturday, April 6, 2013

Small Basic Programing for kids.




Technology is our future and I certainly don’t want my children left behind.  The more comfortable they are using a computer the better I feel.  Thanks to being able to review Computer Science for Kids my 8th grader has been learning the computer language Small Basic with Beginning Small Basic.  Ages 10 and up.  Regular $59.95 on sale until July 4th, 2013, $34.95!

Beginning Small Basic is a series of e-books that I was quickly able to load on my iPad and my son was able to get started right away.
It really did start with the basics of installing Microsoft Small Basic and making sure it was running properly.  You also learn about the history of computers and the languages they were programed in. By the third book, you begin writing your own programs. 



Each book (lesson) starts with a review of the concepts learned previously.  You build on from that. Every book also has some fun examples for you to follow that get you thinking about what other things you would like to create.

Some things you learn are how to build are:
  • A Savings Calculator Program
  • A Guess the Number Game
  • Lemonade Stand Simulation
  • How to get the computer to shuffle a deck of cards
  • An Electronic Blackboard Game
  • and more.

By the fifth book you are debugging your programs.  By the 8th book you are adding graphics.  By the 9th book you are learning animation.  The 10th and 11th book are teaching you about other programs and codes. 

For us the books were very easy to follow.  Yes, I say us.  I couldn’t help but do this along with my son.  Learning like this is so fun that it doesn’t even feel like learning.  Isn’t that how it should be? 


To see what others think of this check out this post. To see a wide variety of reviews check out our crew blog.
Photobucket
 
 






Blog Signature-002

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...