Friday, January 1, 2010

Laundry, Does it ever end?


I live in a fairly small house, and their are 6 of us. So in order to keep up on laundry better, I have this somewhat of a system. I bought these stackable totes and labeled them; towels, whites, darks, lights, work clothes. It works well for sorting, and doesn't take up alot of room, this system is adapted from one my mother used. I have been using this system for over a year now, and this is the first time my laundry has been caught up enough that I dared take a picture of it. One thing that helped me get caught up is that since I have been homeschooling my kids, I began making my older two take more responsibility around the house. With that they each have to do their own laundry, and they each have an assigned day. E on Mondays, and T on Wednesdays. I get every other day to do the rest of us.

Another area where they have to take on more responsibility is in the kitchen. They trade off weeks being the "Kitchen Manager". That means they get a say in the menu, they get to help cook all meals, and clean up after them, shop the ads, and go grocery shopping, all with me. So it is also special one on one time with me. It opens the door for some great conversations. Plus I really enjoy the help. There are countless benefits to doing this, some of which are, they get to see how much food actually costs, they become resorceful, they learn how to plan and prepare ahead of time. They learn cooking and clean up skills. They are interested in trying new foods. They are also gaining a sense of pride and accomplishment.

These everyday skills are really teaching them so much, and they are a great help to me around the house.

Now if only I could find a system to actually do the laundry.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...