Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Circle Time and how it works in our house. Along with a review.

 

 

Circle Time: Plan the best part of your homeschool day.

Written by Kendra Fletcher of Preschoolers and Peace.

$4.99 for the ebook version.

A short 32 page book discussing circle time and including printable planner sheets. 

A big part of my homeschooling philosophy is that we do together what we can.  That has been getting harder as my 4 children range from 4-14. 

We have done or at least tried to do what we called family school every day.  Sometimes it would include books I (or one of us) would read aloud.  We did some games and other activities.  Family school for us is ever changing and rarely looks the same every single day. 

While I got some advice from this book that I am taking into consideration.  The biggest thing I gleaned from it is the planning advice she gave.

Throughout the book focus is given to:

  • Planning a Circle Time That Works for You
  • Strategies for a Peaceful Time Together
  • How to Get Your Kids on Board
  • Questions From Moms Like You
  • Words of Wisdom From Other Moms Who Do Circle Time
  • Resources, Activities, and Ideas
  • Printable Planner Sheets

I can totally relate to it being hard to have circle time with a wide age range of kids.  This book gave me some ideas on things change it up and keep all the kids interested.   I enjoyed how throughout the book were real moms asking real questions and Kendra would answer them on how to make it work.  

This book may seem like it is written for a preschool crowd only in mind.  It seemed to me as if it was written for a wide age range of children. 

I enjoy our family school as being the best part of our homeschool day.   We usually do it right after lunch and in the book she reminds you that it can be done any time of day.  Circle Time doesn’t have to fall first thing in the day.

She also mentioned that you don’t have to call it circle time.  I don’t think my 12 and 14 year old would go for it if it was called that.  We have always called it Family School Time.  Really no matter what you call it, it is meant to be a time where learning can happen together as a family. 

 
I recommend this book for you if you are new to homeschooling or if you are struggling with your homeschool day. 

To see what others think of this book check out this post. To see a wide variety of reviews check out our crew blog.

Photobucket
 
 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...