Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Little Red Hen

I have heard of a type of teaching called Five In A Row.  While I don’t have the lesson plans yet, I thought I would try it out on my own.  From what I gather, you read the same book every day for a week, and choose different activity to go along with it each day. 

 

The book we chose to do first is The Little Red Hen.

DSC02991

The first day we baked pretzels, and that everyone needed to help, even with the clean up.  We also talked about how easy it was for all of us, and how much harder it would be if it was just one of us. DSC02988  DSC02999

We are not the best pretzel shapers, but we didn’t care, they were so good that they were gone within seconds.

 

We learned about farm animals.  We played with Katey’s farm toys, and acted out the story.  We practiced our animal names and sounds, and talked about what each animal’s farm job is.  (such as goats for milk, chickens for eggs, sheep for wool, cow’s for milk, etc)

 

While I didn’t come up with a weeks worth of activities, I really think that doing something that went along with the book as well as reading it more than once really helped my children get the lessons the book taught.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...